Thursday, May 17, 2007

ORACLE - Splitting Long Lines in an Indexfile

====================================================
vi commands
====================================================

------------------------
Issue
------------------------
I have an indexfile from Oracle that has some really long lines in it that I need to break into several lines. Whenever I see ", PARTITION" in a line, I need to break the line there.

For example:

BEFORE:

characters words, PARTITION characters words, PARTITION characters words, PARTITION

AFTER:

characters words
, PARTITION characters words
, PARTITION characters words
, PARTITION

------------------------------
vi Solution
------------------------------

:%s/, PARTITION/^M, PARTITION/g

(NOTE: I got the ^M by holding down Ctrl-v and pressing 'm'. This will insert the newline.)

---

I'll meet you further on up the road.
Jim

No comments: