Friday, May 11, 2007

SQL - Finding the SQL Server Version

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('ProductLevel')


OR

select @@version

(NOTE: The output on the above command was too big to see in my remote terminal session, so I cut and pasted it to notepad to see it all.)

I confirmed that I was on SQL2000 SP3 (or SP3a) when I found version number 8.00.760; but how do I know if I have SP3 or SP3a? Here's how you find out...

Distinguishing between SQL2000 SP3 and SP3a

To figure out whether you have SP3 or SP3a installed, you have to figure out the version number of the Net-Library file, ssnetlib.dll. This file can be found in one of these locations:

Default instance: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn\ssnetlib.dll

Named instance: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$\Binn\ssnetlib.dll

Once I found the file I was able to just mouse over it and a box that included the version popped up. You might have to right-click on the file, select "properties", and then click on the version tab.

If you see version 2000.80.760.0, you have SP3; but if the version is 2000.80.766.0, you have SP3a.

I have version SP3a, so I'm happy.

Here are some links to some more good info about SQL Server versions:

http://rage.against.org/DeterminingSQLServerVersion

This one has a nice chart of versions for SQL 2005 and SQL 2000:

http://soulsolutions.com.au/Blog/tabid/73/EntryID/18/Default.aspx

I'll meet you further on up the road.

Jim Hill

No comments: